Published at Friday, November 09th 2018. by Francesca Barker in End Table.
I'm gonna make a pair of end tables. The top is gonna be made from concrete, and the base is gonna be made from some square metal tubing. I'm gonna start by making the forms for the concrete tops for this. I'm using 3/4 inch melamine and just cutting it down to size. Once I had the pieces cut, I'm gonna pre-drill some holes and then drive in screws to secure all the pieces together. If you want to make a pair of similar tables I'll, have a link to the plans and sketch a file in the description box below next, I took cutters and cut this mesh down to size. Now I cut it a little bit smaller than the actual table. The top will be that when I go to pour the concrete, it's not going to be poking out any other sides.
Next, I laid down a bead of silicone caulk on all the inside corners. I wanted the concrete to be a little bit darker gray, so I took the pigment and I added it to the water that I'll be mixing into the concrete itself. In total, I only used the 180-pound bag of Quikrete scratch-resistant concrete mix. Now, this is a personal preference, but if you wanted to get similar results, I think I used about half the bottle of pigment for this mix. Once the concrete was mixed together thoroughly. I filled the forms about halfway before adding the mesh with both forms filled. I used a scrap piece of wood to screed the concrete.
After that, I used an orbital sander and a rubber mallet to try to get as many air bubbles out of the concrete. As I could I sink in some metal angles because I thought it was going to weld the base onto the top later on. But as you'll see in the video later that didn't happen, I let both the concrete tops dry for about 48 hours. Before removing the wood that held up the angles, then I could carefully take apart of the forms and pry the wood apart from itself. As you can see, there are a lot of air holes, which means I should have spent a lot more time. Vibrating the concrete to try to get those out, but oh well. Instead, what I did to fix that was. I took some extra concrete mix and I sifted out all the big pieces of it. I mixed in a little bit more water and kind of created. This pace that I could spread on the concrete top and kind of work into each of the air holes as best as possible.
Finally, I could take a bundle, spreader, and kind of scrape off all the excess off the cops. I let this dry overnight and then I came back the next day and started this, and now this creates a ton of dust, so I highly suggest to do this outside possible. At this point, it was time to start making the metal base. This was a metal rack used for storing blueprints at our office, but we were getting rid of it at work, so I decided to take it home now. I only have so much metal to work with, so I had to carefully lay out each piece and then come back with my angle, grinder and a cut-off wheel and cut along each line.
Next, I came back and ground a bevel on each edge. This creates a groove for the weld puddle to lay down into rather than laying on top of a joint. Now it was time to start welding. I used the metal angles that were sunk into the concrete prior to help align the pieces together before tacking everything together. Once everything was tacked together and square, I came back with a full weld after welding the pieces. Together, I came back with a flat disc on an angle, grinder and ground everything smooth. Now, these flat discs are great for smoothing out joints like this, and they come in a few different grits. So, if you're interested in checking them out I'll leave a link to them in the description box below once I had the bottom frame built and welded together, I could use that as a template for the top frame and for this one it's just a rinse and Repeat tack everything together check for square lay down a full weld and then grind everything smooth with the top and bottom frame bills. I could begin to add the legs between the two and, finally, I could cut out plugs for the ends of the tubing and weld those in place. I finished the metal bases by applying a few coats of satin black spray paint and for the concrete tops, I applied a few coats of quikrete waterproofing sealer, wiping off any excess.
Any content, trademark’s, or other material that might be found on the nucleosanmarino.com website that is not nucleosanmarino.com’s property remains the copyright of its respective owner/s. In no way does nucleosanmarino.com claim ownership or responsibility for such items, and you should seek legal consent for any use of such materials from its owner.
Copyright © 2018 nucleosanmarino.com. All Rights Reserved.