Published at Saturday, November 17th 2018. by Lana Harper in End Table.
The design is an evolution of a concept from the first chair. I ever designed all the way back in 2010. Here you can see some terrible pictures of that. I had intended this to be a more incremental change from the original design, as shown in this Sketchup model, but in the process of the build, I decided that this almost deconstructed look was much better. Alright, let's get into the build. I used a 2 foot by 8-foot sheet open-air plywood and cut out all the pieces as they're laid out here. The first cuts I made were for the tops and fronts of the arm structures. These all need 45-degree bevel x' on the ends. So I started by cutting that into the end of the board and then cut that section to length at the same yet opposing angle. If that doesn't make sense, there will be a more detailed diagram with a full cut list on my website that is linked in the description below next I cut these pieces to whit. I then cut all the pieces shown here for the seat and backrest, but those all cut out it's time to do some assembling.
I started with the tops and fronts of the arm structure shown here. These joints were glued and nailed. I then put them in clamps, but I failed to film that process. So you won't see that here. I then took a field measurement to determine the length of the piece highlighted here and I'm glad I did because the math that I had done beforehand would have left them about an eighth of an inch. Too short, these joints were just simply glued and nailed. They did come out quite strong, but I would definitely recommend clamping just to be safe. It'S now time for the seat. To start, I drove the pocket holes to assemble the box of the upholstered frame will attach to I glued and nailed these together before coming back to driving the screws. This made it easier to ensure that everything was square. I then cut the pieces for the frame to lengths of 45-degree angles, drilled, pocket holes and then assembled the frame with those two pieces assembled. I started stretching the webbing that will support the foam it's important to stretch the webbing as tightly and consistently as possible. Also, you'll want to apply plenty of staples to make sure that each length is held in place across its entire width. I like to fold it back on itself or just a little-added security, also be sure to weave it as I've done here. This maximizes the load distribution and helps it wear evenly with that Sun. I moved on to assembling the body of the chair. I started with the backrest by gluing and pocket holding it into place. The arms weren't completely Square to each other, so this took a bit more work than I anticipated. It did work out, though, with the seat box, glued nailed and later screwed into place.
The next step was to apply filler in a few places and then give the whole body a good sanding to prep for paint. Now for the back legs, I settled on this simple tapered design and realized. I had some pre-cut pieces from this chair that were the perfect size I just needed to give them a good sanding and then cut up material for the post that attaches to the seat box. With those shaped, I sand, it paints it and installed them. The final step to clean the body was to make some small angled blocks for the front feet. I used some scraps of 3/4 inch popular by laminating them together and then cutting them at 45-degree angle. I then sanded painted and installed them with the body now complete. It's time for upholstery to start, I laid out the fabric and use the seat frame to mark the size of the top of the cover. I then used some foam to make sure that I cut the sides long enough to wrap around the foam and under the frame here, I'm extending the marks to have guidelines while sewing the seams. I then cut the corners from the fabric, leaving the seam allowance around half an inch from my lines. I couldn't find my sewing pin, so I improvised some use an office stapler to hold the fabric in place. While I sewed it worked out really well and then to complete the seat cover, I sewed along my marked lines for the backrest I had to start by shaping the foam. I began by cutting a triangular piece and then cut one of the edges off so that it fits the frame for the cover.
I traced the profile of the foam made to pieces that shape got a piece to width and length for the face of the cover and then use the stapler. To put it all together for sewing with both covers ready. I went back out to the shop and cut out the poly wrap for the seat and then tacked it in place. I didn't insert that fiber covered cushion into the cover trim the excess fabric and got to stapling learning to a poster is probably easiest with a hands-on trial and error approach. I do have some tips, though, start from the middle of a side, apply even tension on the fabric as you staple and don't be afraid to take those staples out and try again if things don't look quite right other than those few things just keep at it, And have fun with it. The backrest was the same process, though you'll see that I glued a piece of quarter-inch plywood to the back of the foam to have something to staple into. This will also give me a way to attach it to the chair. From the back with screws and with the upholstering finished. I got some screws in a few brackets and finished the assembly.
Any content, trademark’s, or other material that might be found on the nucleosanmarino.com website that is not nucleosanmarino.com’s property remains the copyright of its respective owner/s. In no way does nucleosanmarino.com claim ownership or responsibility for such items, and you should seek legal consent for any use of such materials from its owner.
Copyright © 2018 nucleosanmarino.com. All Rights Reserved.